Ondo, Ekiti residents protest abandoned N22b Akure/Aado-Ekiti road dualization [Photos]

ADVERTISE YOUR SERVICES HERE AND PROMOTE YOUR SONG/MIXTAPE @ AN AFFORDABLE PRICE CLICK HERE

Following the deplorable condition of the Akure/Ado-Ekiti road, residents of Ondo and Ekiti States on Wednesday protested the abandonment of the highway after it was awarded for dualization last year

The residents alleged that contractors who were given the contract refused to commence work on the road 15 months after receiving mobilization for the N22b dualization of the road.

Speaking on behalf of the protesters, Niyi Majofodu said, the road had become a nightmare to residents of Igoba axis as well as motorists plying the road.

With the protesters armed with placards of various inscriptions, they stated that the state of the road has continued to aid activities of criminals engaging in kidnappings and killings.

Some of the inscriptions read “Too much of kidnapping, raping on Akure-Ado-Ekiti road”, “Governor Fayemi may not be too happy with the slowness of Akure-Ado-Ekiti road”, “Revoke Akure-Ado-Ekiti road contract from Dantata and Sawoe.

Others read “Dantata and Sawoe are frustrating the effort of Mr. President on-road infrastructural development”, “Fix our roads, save our souls,” “After 15 months of mobilization Dantata and Sawoe company is nowhere to be found”, “Too many killings and robberies on Akure-Ado-Ekiti road.

With the highway barricaded at Igoba junction, Akure North Local Government during the protest, Mojofodun said that “the dualization of Akure – Ado Ekiti road was awarded to Dantata & Sawoe in 2020 and subsequently got mobilized in November 2020, however, the contractor refused to move to site until a few days ago after our organization had petitioned the office of the Director-General of BPP over the abandonment of the project. Copy of the petition letter is hereby attached.

“It is on record that killings, kidnappings, robbery, raping and terrible motor accident have become uncontrollable on the said road (Akure–Ado Ekiti).

“We cannot afford to die in silence, we want to strongly appeal to President Muhammadu Buhari GCFR, to please look into this matter as a matter of urgency. We also express our displeasure at the manners in which Director General ( BPP) awarded the road.

“For instance, the Dualization of Akure–Ado Ekiti road project awarded in 2020 by the President for Twenty-two billion, six hundred and sixty-three million, four hundred and fifty-one thousand, three hundred and three naira, sixty-one kobo (N22, 663,451,303.61) to Dantata & Sawoe Company with a reasonable amount of mobilization which was however abandoned by the said company.

Also lamenting the development, one of the stakeholders, Biyi Poroye said the attitude of the contractor towards the project had become a huge concern, particularly that residents and motorists had been going through agonies on a daily basis.

On his part, the Senior Special Assistant to Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State on Citizen Engagement and Grassroot, Josemaria Adeusi said “If a contractor has been mobilized 15 months ago and he has not done anything significant that we can see to attest that he is ready to work, the best to do is to revoke the contract.

For the former Chairman of Akure North Local Government, Rotimi Adeleye said, “It is quite highly embarrassing and disgusting that nothing has been done. We are pleading with the government to come to our aid. Several lives have been lost on this road alongside several kidnappings.”

You Might Like This

About sayflexxyblog 8015 Articles
Sayflexxyblog is a content writer, web developer, social media manager and advertiser.

Make Your comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*